Tire size 265/70R17 is a common size for light trucks and SUVs. It is a versatile tire that can be used for a variety of purposes, including on-road driving, light off-roading, and towing. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about tire size 265/70R17, including what it means, what vehicles it fits, and the different types of tires available in this size.
What does 265/70R17 mean?
Tire size 265/70R17 is a metric tire size. The first three numbers, 265, indicate the tire’s section width in millimeters. The section width is the distance from the outside of one sidewall to the outside of the other sidewall. The second number, 70, is the tire’s aspect ratio. The aspect ratio is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the section width. In this case, the sidewall height is 70% of the section width. The letter R indicates that the tire has radial construction. Radial construction is the most common type of tire construction today. The last number, 17, is the tire’s rim diameter in inches. The rim diameter is the diameter of the wheel that the tire is mounted on.
What vehicles does tire size 265/70R17 fit?
Tire size 265/70R17 fits a variety of light trucks and SUVs. Some common vehicles that use this tire size include:
- Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- Ford F-150
- Toyota Tacoma
- Nissan Frontier
- Ram 1500
- Jeep Wrangler
- Toyota 4Runner
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Honda Pilot
- Mazda CX-5
- Subaru Outback
Different types of tires available in size 265/70R17
There are a variety of different types of tires available in size 265/70R17. The most common types of tires in this size include:
- All-terrain tires: All-terrain tires are designed for both on-road and light off-road use. They have a tread pattern that provides good traction on a variety of surfaces, including pavement, gravel, and dirt.
- Mud-terrain tires: Mud-terrain tires are designed for heavy off-road use. They have a deep tread pattern that provides excellent traction in mud, sand, and snow.
- Highway tires: Highway tires are designed for on-road driving only. They have a smooth tread pattern that provides good fuel economy and a quiet ride.
Choosing the right tire for your needs
When choosing a tire, it is important to consider your needs and the type of driving you will be doing. If you do a lot of off-road driving, you will need a tire that is designed for off-road use. If you do mostly on-road driving, you can choose a highway tire.
Here are some additional factors to consider when choosing a tire:
- Load range: The load range of a tire indicates how much weight it can carry. If you plan on towing or carrying a lot of weight, you will need a tire with a high load range.
- Speed rating: The speed rating of a tire indicates the maximum speed at which it can be driven safely. If you plan on driving at high speeds, you will need a tire with a high speed rating.
- Price: Tires can range in price from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars. It is important to set a budget before you start shopping for tires.
Tire size 265/70R17 is a versatile tire that can be used for a variety of purposes. When choosing a tire in this size, it is important to consider your needs and the type of driving you will be doing.